Top Tips for Working in an office at home

I’m currently in a very fortunate position where I can work on my blog from home full-time. Whilst I do spend a few days a week out of office at meetings, shoots and working on different projects, I do have a home office. Working from home might sound like a bed of roses but I found it a hard adjustment to be proactive and not get too distracted. I’m pretty sure I could be crowned the procrastination queen but I’ve been working hard to make sure I get my sh*t together and get my butt in gear. This ship won’t sail itself. I’ve put together a few of my top tips for working in an office at home.

Top Tips for Working from a home office - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger

Make a schedule & stick to it!

Every day I make a schedule and try my best to stick to it. I will designate a certain amount of time for each task. Don’t forget to give yourself breaks throughout the day. I’ve got a weekly planner which is from Sainsbury’s (the stationary range there is on point) and I can split up the day and tick off each task as I do them.

Set Goals

Along with a schedule, make daily, monthly and even yearly goals. With anything, it’s good to see progress and aim high in whatever you are doing. I have a journal which I keep all my blogging goals in. I like to keep track of stats etc. to see how I’m doing on a monthly basis.

Have a Clean & Tidy Space

I’ve mentioned this 101 times in various posts but I think that a tidy space helps towards a clear mind. Having a Clean and Tidy space will help you so much with getting on with work and a clearer outlook. My office is actually in my bedroom as we don’t have space for a separate office. I do, however, try and keep my office space separate. It also encourages me to keep my bedroom tidy as well as my little office corner.

Get Dressed

Whenever I say that I work from home, I get told that it must be so nice to work from my bed in my PJs. Yeah, that does sound like an ideal situation, but are you really going to be THAT productive?! Whilst staying in my PJs all day sounds like the dream, I can’t tell you how important it is to actually get dressed. I’m not saying get dressed in a formal dress as if you were actually going into the office but make an effort and you’ll feel so much more awake, alive and ready for a day working.

Top Tips for Working from a home office - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger

Be Comfortable

Again, I’m not telling you to stay in the comfort of your PJs and Bed but It’s important to invest in a comfortable office chair. You’ll be spending a lot of time in it and the last thing you want is back ache. I’m not going to lie, the chair I’ve got at the moment is pretty pathetic. I’m pretty sure a couple of the bolts have even fallen out!  At first, it was aesthetically pleasing but my back isn’t thanking me for my silly choices. I’m currently on the hunt for a better chair!

Keep Hydrated but Hide the Biscuits!

Working from home means easy access to the kitchen. Stay hydrated and drink lot’s of water throughout the day but try and keep away from unnecessarily snacking throughout the day. I’m quite good with this as I don’t usually reach for snacks anyway. It is, however, quite lethal if I acquire a packet of biscuits. There’s no such thing as eating just one biscuit. Keep the biscuits locked away!

Go Outside

Get some fresh air and actually go outside. It’s so important to actually see the light of day and not keep cooped up in the office. Even if it’s a short trip to the corner shop and getting some human interaction. I also find if I really am struggling with getting any work done, it’s helpful to go to a cafe for a couple of hours. The change of environment can help with generating ideas and get a fresh perspective.

Stay Off Social Media

Staying off social media is easier said than done. It’s such an important tool for sharing content and interacting with everyone. Productivity levels go to an all time high when I’m offline on Facebook and Twitter. Especially when I’m writing up blog posts, it’s so much easier without all the distractions of a new Cosmo articles to read or meme’s to tag friends in.

Stay Safe & Insured

You probably don’t think about Insurance when working from home but it’s important that your Insurance plan actually covers your office equipment. A standard home insurance will most likely already cover your contents but make sure it doesn’t add up above the threshold. There can be many hazards found within an office and even in a home office. Accident Advice Helpline has put together a really informative graphic which points out some common hazards that are found. It’s maybe time to replace my broken chair!

I think one of the key points to being proactive in any work space is having the enthusiasm and mind set to get up and get going! Do you have any tips for working in an office at home?!

18 Comments

1. August 14, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Good tips! I could never work from home – I’m bad at keeping myself organised and need variety and movement too much – same reason I can’t work in an office of any kind, haha.

2. August 14, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Oh my goodness, I would definitely have to hide the snacks! I have six weeks off at summer and have to diet beforehand to prepare for the weight I put on!

3. August 14, 2017 / 9:33 pm

The PJs thing is so true – I work flexibly but would never get anything done in PJs!

4. August 14, 2017 / 9:50 pm

I love the I am Very Busy journal! Some great tips! I think it’s important to stick to schedule.

5. August 14, 2017 / 11:05 pm

Social media is the big one for me, I get so distracted by it and end up wasting so much time! Also getting dressed, I am guilty of sitting in my pyjamas!

6. Erin
    August 14, 2017 / 11:15 pm

I’m such a nightmare for working at home, I am so unproductive so I love your tips! I will need to use some for when I start doing college work again, because I am so easily distracted 🙁

Erin || MakeErinOver

7. August 15, 2017 / 10:15 am

I’ve got my own office at home, but I’ve never got around to finishing decorating it. That’s definitely on my to-do list for Autumn. Like you, I definitely feel more productive when I’m dressed, even if it’s just something like jeans or leggings and a tshirt

8. Danielle
    August 15, 2017 / 10:52 am

Working from home is amazing, but it can be hard to get motivated. I don’t always get dressed though, as I think that’s one of the perks of working from home.

9. August 15, 2017 / 11:43 am

I’d love to work from home, but unfortunately have a full-time job as well as my blog. But your office looks fab, I have the same desk! x

10. August 15, 2017 / 2:38 pm

I think if we had a home office I would be more productive for sure, but not so much currently when the TV is a distraction!

11. August 15, 2017 / 4:19 pm

i work from home as well as home school 8 so i know this is a trickier task than most would think but i find with good planning and organisation its quite easy x

12. August 15, 2017 / 4:34 pm

A clean and tidy space makes a big difference to me I can tell you that much it helps me focus better. Great tips.

13. August 15, 2017 / 6:14 pm

These sound like some awesome tips, I have to admit there some days when I work in my PJs, though I have a daytime set and a nighttime set so I at least get changed.

14. August 15, 2017 / 8:43 pm

These are all great tips, I find sticking to a schedule really helps me stay on track too x

15. August 15, 2017 / 10:11 pm

I love all of your tips (especially hide the biscuits!). I also work from home and was nodding away to all of these. I need to get better at writing a daily schedule, that’s such a good idea.

16. August 16, 2017 / 1:00 pm

Great tips, I follow almost all of them when working from home and also find getting out of the house even for a short walk can be really useful.

17. Lynne Harper
    August 16, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Great tips for people like us who work from home. I often struggle to stay focussed and on task, I’m going to implement some of these with the hope all improves

18. October 28, 2017 / 3:51 pm

Fantastic tips! I work from home and I love it! But I definitely implement these tips, I have a desk space, I am productive and organised, I avoid social media (unless I have to do work for one of my clients) and I try to go out once a day.

Chichi