The Gin Festival, York

Last weekend, I headed over to York with my friend Jorden to go to The Gin Festival at the Barbican. I wouldn’t call either of us Gin enthusiasts, I’ll have a G&T every now and then but that’s it. I was really interested to see what The Gin Festival was all about, especially as I’d seen a lot of hyper across social media from previous events

We arrived at the venue around 45 minutes after the doors opened. It was a sold out event so we managed to beat the crowds. On arrivals, we were handed a Gin Guide and Gin Festival glass which was ours to keep. I thought it was a really nice touch. The guide was so helpful as there were over 100 gins on offer including cocktails!  Drinks could be bought with tokens which were £5 per token. A G&T cost one token and a cocktail cost two.

We both decided to go for a classic G&T to begin with. The gins were spread across four different bars, the guide told us what was where and which tonic and garnish was best. The girl working there was so much help, it was quite easy to get very overwhelmed with all the choices but as we were after something a little fruity she pointed us in the right direction. Jorden went for a Brockmans Gin which is a sweet dry gin with grapefruit and blueberries for garnish. I went for the Pinkster Gin which I had previously sampled at Jemma’s Girl Gang Event in Manchester. This gin is infused with berries and is also gluten-free!

Throughout the afternoon there were music on-stage and masterclasses going on. Food and snacks were also been sold on different stands. The Cocktail bar was calling my name, there was six drinks on offer all based around, gin. I went for the Florida Sling featuring Jensen’s Old Tom Gin, Pineapple Juice and Cherry Liquor.

The Gin Festival, York - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger The Gin Festival, York - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger The Gin Festival, York - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger The Gin Festival, York - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger

The Gin Festival takes places in various locations throughout the UK, you can find some more information on tickets here. Some of the upcoming festivals include;

Manchester, Victoria Baths: 24th March – 2nd April 2017

Nottingham, Conference Centre: 22nd April – 23rd April 2017

Bournemouth, Pavillion Ballroom: 5th May – 7th May 2017

Bristol, The Station: 11th May – 13th May 2017

Leeds, Town Hall: 30th June – 2nd July 2017

Oxford, Town Hall: 21st July – 23rd July 2017

London, Tobacco Dock: 25th August – 27th August 2017

A big thank you to the team for inviting Jorden and I along, We had a fabulous time at The Gin Festival. It was a really unique afternoon and I would definitely go again – I’m eyeing up the Leeds date. It was a great way to discover and try different gins.

Have you been to a festival like this? Are you a fan of gin?

*I was invited to The Gin Festival and provided with passes and tokens for drinks in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

14 Comments

1. March 9, 2017 / 12:18 pm

I love gin!!! Can’t wait for this festival to come to Leeds. I’ve not been the previous years but so going this year 🙂 x

2. March 9, 2017 / 6:55 pm

I love gin and it’s so great that it’s having a revival. It used to be an old person’s drink but now it’s young and trendy with different botanicals being used to mix things up a bit!

3. March 9, 2017 / 7:27 pm

OMG what I would give to go to a gin festival! It’s probably my favorite spirit during the summer.

4. March 9, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Gin has really had a surge in popularity lately and I’ve heard of so many attending the Gin Festivals and loving them. It would definitely be a great place for gin lovers to discover new gins and brands.

5. March 10, 2017 / 2:58 am

Ohh, such a nice experience! I love to experience this too! looks like you really had a lot of fun! Did you get tipsy too? haha

6. March 10, 2017 / 4:34 am

Impressive! Didn’t knew such event existed!! My boyfriend is crazy about gin I’m sure he would have loved to go, too bad he’s not in UK anymore!

7. March 10, 2017 / 9:45 am

I went to the one in London and it was such a good event wasn’t it?! I love how all the gins were seperated depending on if you wanted to try one from outside the UK or something different x

8. March 10, 2017 / 10:17 am

I love Gin, so this sounds like my absolute idea of heaven x

9. March 10, 2017 / 2:21 pm

This must have been great fun the different cocktails sound good. I bet the Florida Sling was yummy. I must go to the one in London when it’s on.

10. Jemma
    March 10, 2017 / 2:58 pm

The gin festivals really are popping up everywhere, looks like great fun and a great way to sample new flavours!

11. March 10, 2017 / 5:58 pm

So many cute photos! Thanks for sharing!

12. Helen
    March 11, 2017 / 2:07 pm

I love gin so Gin festivals are my ideal Day out. I’m so pleased it’s becoming more popular and there are more events like this. I went to the Gin Festival at Leeds last year but can’t make the dates for this year.

13. March 11, 2017 / 10:12 pm

I love your blog Rachel it’s so pretty! I went to the same Gin Festival when it came to Leicester it’s such a fun event and great for introducing you to new and exciting brands too! I’m hoping to attend the festival again this year, I loved it that much!

14. March 15, 2017 / 3:48 pm

Wow this looks awesome, I’ve never been to a gin festival bit I do like it. It’s become so popular again now.