My Hand Luggage Essentials

I’ve been fortunate to travel quite a lot this year and some of my trips were quite last minute. I think one I had about 48 hours notice so I’ve tried my best at perfecting the art of packing under pressure. As with most things in life, I usually make a list for packing so I can plan out outfits and organise my hand luggage. Today’s post is a breakdown of all the essential items to take in your hand luggage.

hand luggage-flight-essentials-rachel-nicole-travel-blogger

I usually take a backpack as my hand luggage as it usually can fit a lot more in than a handbag and it means I’ll be hands-free to wheel my suitcase. A backpack is also pretty handy whilst travelling anyway, I absolutely love this unicorn print one.

I also usually put a spare change of clothes in my hand luggage and underwear just in case my suitcase gets lost. These things do happen and *touch wood* it’s never happened to me but it’s best to be prepared. For the flight, I usually take either a snuggly cardigan or jumper so I’m warm enough on the plane. If I’m heading to a warmer climate, sunglasses are an essential. Stepping off the plane as the heat hits you with your shades on; is there anything better than that?

You can’t guarantee food & drink on a flight, especially a short haul flight so I usually make sure I have some snacks. Also, don’t forget to pick up a couple of bottles of water in duty-free, it’s important to stay hydrated whilst you are in the air.

In the past, I’ve been on a long haul flight without entertainment. It was my own fault for been unprepared and expecting a little screen. I make sure I have more than enough items to keep me pre-occupied. From my iPad with games and movies, my iPod & headphones, my kindle, magazines and even a couple of puzzle books. Even on short haul flights, I have all of this with me. It might seem a bit excessive but I get quite fidgety and bored after an hour or two.

I guess the most important thing to bring with you is all of your important documents such as tickets and passports. Keep them all safe in a little travel document holder, you can get some really lovely designs.  I love this Happy Jackson one. Basically make sure you have everything important with you such as wallets, cards and generally all valuables. I also take my camera and laptop in my hand luggage as I wouldn’t want to loose them! Also, you need your camera for that typical up in the air with the plane wing shot.

What are your hand luggage essentials?

1. October 18, 2016 / 1:13 pm

My hand luggage essentials are usually what I find in my handbag but most definitely a portable phone charger, lip balm, snacks and a sleep mask depending on how long my flight is!

2. October 18, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Good essentials, definitely my phone charger & camera..wipes…sleep mask..iPod etc x

3. October 18, 2016 / 9:56 pm

That backpack looks gorgeous, I love the colour. This is perfect for flying essentials.

4. October 18, 2016 / 10:11 pm

That backpack is so pretty, I love the jumper too.
    My mum always taught me to pack extra clothes in your carry on too! It’s good advice I think. 🙂 Just incase.

5. October 18, 2016 / 11:10 pm

That backpack really is cute! I tend to bring some sort of snack, headphones and my devices with movies rented on them.

6. October 18, 2016 / 11:27 pm

A book, my ipod and hand sanitzer are the most important things I put in my hand luggage. I travel quite a lot with just hand luggage to so I’ve created the art of tight packing x

7. October 19, 2016 / 9:37 am

OOh some good items for the hand luggage, I always ensure ive got a face cream, hand cream and some water x

8. francesca
    October 19, 2016 / 10:14 am

Great picks!! I always pack my gadgets and cameras in my hand luggage I don’t trust anyone else with them what with damage etc!!

9. October 19, 2016 / 8:27 pm

I’m going on holiday next month and so I really enjoyed this post. That jumper looks cosy xx

10. Hannah
    October 19, 2016 / 8:44 pm

Loved this post, so helpful for my upcoming holiday! X

11. October 19, 2016 / 9:03 pm

We always take a backpack with us too. A spare layer, like a sweater, is always good as sometimes night flights can get a bit chilly especially if you are tired xx

12. October 19, 2016 / 10:49 pm

I always pack spare underwear, tablet, Kindle, sunglasses, lip balm, hand sanitizer and a glossy magazine like Hello, earphones & earplugs (I’m a nervous flyer & hate engine noise!) plus travel wallet

13. February 18, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Good idea to take a backpack- that one is so cute.
    My hand luggage is always full of snacks because I don’t like the airline food!