Beatrix Potter & The Lake District

I’ve spent many Summers in the Lake District and the one thing we always do there is visiting Beatrix Potter’s home; Hill Top Farm in Ambleside. I was brought up with Peter Rabbit books and always found Hill Top a magical place seeing inspiration from the books. In fact, the Lake District was a big part of her life. She bought fifteen farms and four thousand acres of land which she left to the National Trust when she died. As we celebrate Miss Potter’s 150th Birthday, I’m going to go through some of my favourite places in The Lake District.

Hill Top House, Beatrix Potter. Lake District - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger

(Image Source)

As mentioned before, Hill Top Farm is a firm favourite of mine. You can really see how the house and garden’s shaped some of my favourite stories. The house is left in original condition and you cannot take photo’s inside but it’s absolutely beautiful. It can be a bit of a nightmare trying to get a parking spot as it’s very busy in the Summer.

The World of Beatrix Potter is a massive attraction in the Lake District for the whole family. The exhibit explores her work and conservation in a really fun way and also the tearoom is a must visit! This year see’s the debut of Peter Rabbit: The Musical which is performed at the attraction, three times a day. I’m so intrigued to see this so maybe a visit may be on the cards next Summer.

We decided to visit the Beatrix Potter Galley in Hawkshead on a whim on our last visit. Although, It’s quite a small gallery it featured some beautiful original artwork. The collection includes original drawings of Peter Rabbit himself which is just incredible to see. The village of Hawkshead is also super cute with lots of little shops and tiny backstreets. Hawkshead was another place which featured in many of Beatrix Potter’s tales.

Lake District by Nick Thorne - Rachel Nicole UK Blogger

Copyright: Nick Thorne

If you’re looking for somewhere to stay, Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel is right on Lake Windermere. The property was also formerly owned by Beatrix Potter herself – How amazing?! With incredible views and cosy rooms, it’s the perfect place for a staycation in the Lakes.

It seems that half of the Lake District is celebrating Beatrix Potter’s Birthday with so many different events, parties and exhibitions taking place this Summer. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to get to the lakes this year but I did celebrate her Birthday by buying a limited edition 50 pence piece. Hopefully, it’ll be worth of fortune in the future. If you’re not really a fan of Beatrix Potter, Classic British Hotels have a few other suggestions on literacy landscapes inspired by different authors and books.

Are you a Beatrix Potter fan? Have you been to the Lake District?

17 Comments

1. August 24, 2016 / 10:10 pm

I remember visiting the world of beatrix potter when I was younger. I loved it!

2. August 25, 2016 / 9:43 am

The lake district is a beautiful place, but I’ve only ever passed through on the train. When I have more time, I will be sure to visit Beatrix Potter’s house, my kids would love it!

3. August 25, 2016 / 12:42 pm

I went to Lake District a few times, however, I still haven’t been to The World of Beatrix Potter, hopefully next time, I read her books a lot…

Ela BellaWorld

4. August 25, 2016 / 1:49 pm

I’m there isn’t a child that isn’t aware of Peter Rabbit. However, I’m not really onboard with the animated cartoon version for children.. Whenever we;re in the Lakes visiting family we visit the attraction. With toddler being a bit older I think we’re due a revisit, plus he likes the Peter Rabbit book, so might understand it a bit. We’ve never visit Hill Top though.. This might be on the list for next time. 🙂

Caroline.x

5. August 25, 2016 / 2:07 pm

I remember visiting Beatrix Potter’s house years ago as am a huge fan of hers – a wonderful place:-)

6. August 25, 2016 / 5:38 pm

We took the kids to the Lake District in 2014. Now, I tell you, when we took them, we had to take an overnight ferry and drive HUNDREDS of miles to get there. We spent five glorious nights camping in Grizedale but we never did pop into the Beatrix Potter place! I wanted to but we were short of time. The holiday cost us over £3000. It’s unlikely we’ll ever drive there again, but I’d love to. 🙂

7. August 25, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Oh I do love the Lake District – I visited Beatrix Potter’s house when I was a child, I would love to take Pickle one day. Kaz x

8. August 25, 2016 / 9:16 pm

I’m a massive beatrix potter fan but I have never been here. This looks like a great place x

9. August 26, 2016 / 7:40 pm

I would love to visit this part of the country with my children whilst they are little.

10. August 26, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Beautiful photos, I would love to visit the lake district one day. xx

11. hannah
    August 26, 2016 / 9:25 pm

The lake district looks amazing. I used to love Beatrix Potter when i was a kid x

12. August 26, 2016 / 10:52 pm

This looks like a lovely place to visit with the little ones, they love playing outdoors.

13. August 27, 2016 / 12:12 am

We spent time last summer in Bowness, on Lake Windermere, it really is super beautiful.

14. Helen
    August 27, 2016 / 10:47 am

I love Beatrix Potter and the Lake District but haven’t actually been to any of the Beatrix Potter places there! I really do need to change that.

15. August 27, 2016 / 2:18 pm

I’ve wanted to visit the lake district for quite some time now!! I really must go after reading this!

16. September 1, 2016 / 3:00 pm

The Lake District is one of the many places I really loved while I was living in the UK. It’s simply breathtaking and your photos truly captured that. Awesome job!