Mini Cruisin’ with P&O Ferries to Amsterdam

P&O Mini Cruise to Rotterdam/Amsterdam - Rachel Nicole UK Travel Blogger

Last week, my Mum and I took a little city trip oversea’s to Amsterdam. I’ve never visited the city before and as I’m desperate to see some new countries this year, I was pretty excited about the trip. We actually went on a P&O mini cruise from Hull to cross the North sea to Rotterdam; the cruise included transfers to Amsterdam (and also Rotterdam if you preferred) and two nights onboard. You can go to your destination for the day or stay overnight for however many nights like we did.

P&O Mini Cruise to Rotterdam/Amsterdam - Rachel Nicole UK Travel Blogger

We boarded the ship around 5 pm on Monday, check-in was really easy with no ques and we were onboard within 15 minutes. We were staying in an upgraded Club Cabin which was absolutely fantastic, I was really impressed with the room and facilities in the cabin. The cabin was spacious with a separate living area with a TV and a bedroom with two single beds. The room also had a shower room complete with The White Company toiletries and a separate toilet.

On Board Entertainment…
Cinema – Two screens showing the latest movies such as The Revenant, Dad’s Army and Joy.
Casino – Different slot machines and even a poker table if you’re feeling lucky.
Show Bar – Spead over two floors with a stage for musical entertainment on an evening.
Sky LoungeLocated on Deck 12 (The top deck), a lovely bar with panoramic views and a pianist on an evening.
Duty-Free Shopping – Three shops; Alcohol & Cigarettes, Souvenirs & Confectionary and Beauty & Women’s Accessories – I may have made a little purchase on the Benefit stand.
& A Children’s Play area, Lorry drivers Bar, Starbucks, a Brassiere & much more!

P&O Mini Cruise to Rotterdam/Amsterdam - Rachel Nicole UK Travel Blogger

On the first evening, we headed straight to the World Buffet restaurant, there was a wide variety on offer from different meats, vegetables and also different curry’s and soup’s for the starter. The desserts really caught my eye with a wide selection of fruits, cakes and mini chocolate & lemon mousses in shot glasses. I’m not going to lie, I had a little bit of everything before being rolled out of the restaurant. haha!

After a pleasant’s night sleep, we were awoken by a tannoy message at 7 am to let us know that the breakfast was open and we would shortly be docking. I’m not exactly a morning person so I wasn’t a fan of the early wake-up call. When we went down for breakfast which was a similar set up to the evening before with the traditional cooked breakfast items, fruit and cereals all available. The boat docked at about 8.30am and we checked out of our room as we wouldn’t be returning the same evening before disembarking the boat and been greeted by a fleet of coaches going to various locations. We were booked on the Amsterdam bus which the trip took around an hour and a half. Despite it being freezing outside, the bus was uncomfortably warm. I think the air con was broken but I nearly passed out it was so warm! The bus back the next day was more pleasant, at least, I think it was, I was asleep.

P&O Mini Cruise to Rotterdam/Amsterdam - Rachel Nicole UK Travel Blogger

On return to the UK we were in the same cabin but on a different boat, The Pride of Hull. The boat was pretty much the same as The Pride of Rotterdam. After yet another nap, we made our way to the Brasserie which is a table service restaurant. I would totally recommend this restaurant, the service was impeccable and the food unbelievably tasty. For starters, we both went for Beef in Yorkshire Pudding. Quite an odd choice for a starter but just incredibly tasty. The beef was cooked to perfection and crumbly whilst coated in red wine gravy. For mains, I went for Cod and Chips and my Mum went for a Beef Burger and because we couldn’t help ourselves we got desserts too!

P&O Mini Cruise to Rotterdam/Amsterdam - Rachel Nicole UK Travel Blogger

We loved the Brasserie so much we returned in the morning for their table service breakfast, we only got a small cooked breakfast each but it was lovely and a great start to the morning. It was then time to pack up our things and disembark the ship back in Hull.

I had a great time on the Mini Cruise to Amsterdam. P&O also do mini cruises to Belgium which I have also been on. They are 2 for 1 and prices start at £79 for two people which is such a great deal. You can find out more information here. If you’re looking for a couple of days away, I’d totally recommend going on a P&O mini cruise.  You can even stay a couple of days in the cities like I did. I’m going to be doing separate posts on my adventures in Amsterdam (& Vlogs – Woo!) so stay tuned for these!
Have you been on a P&O mini cruise?

26 Comments

1. March 10, 2016 / 11:59 am

I never knew you could go on a "cruise" to Amsterdam! Such a novel, fun idea! Definitely going to look into this – perfect for my partner who gets twitchy on planes.

2. March 10, 2016 / 2:06 pm

I love cruises and have been on the big ones for 2 weeks, but not a mini break one like this – looks so so fun though!

Sophie x

3. March 10, 2016 / 2:10 pm

I've always wondered what the Amsterdam cruise is like! Now I know it is such a bargain for only £79 2 for 1! Looks like an amazing time you had with your Mum! 🙂
    haveyouseenhowshespeaks.blogspot.co.uk

4. March 10, 2016 / 4:04 pm

That is the fanciest ferry I've ever seen! Love the first shot!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

5. March 10, 2016 / 4:28 pm

that all looks so good and tasty! Hull is so close to me, I really should pay attention more to the deals they have on 🙂

6. March 10, 2016 / 4:36 pm

£79 is such a good price for two people to get all the way to Amsterdam. I might have to check this out when I look at going x

7. Caroline
    March 10, 2016 / 7:35 pm

Great post and pictures. 🙂
    Your cabin looks amazing! When I did this (a few moons ago) we had bunk beds and the smallest room ever.. and I don't remember dining.lol That Yorkshire pud starter looks so yummy!!!!
    Definitely something I'd do again, will have to keep an eye out on deals. 🙂

8. March 10, 2016 / 8:17 pm

Amsterdam sounds amazing. Last time i went on a mini cruise on the ferry was at least 15 years ago, the accommodation looks more fancy than it used to x

9. March 10, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Ahhh, I also wanted to do this cruise some time ago, but didn't think it would be near as nice! I wanna go now!!!! And your food looks TASTY! x

10. March 11, 2016 / 7:09 pm

Oh wow it sounds like you had an amazing time! I'd love to go on a cruise one day, the food looks incredible xx

Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

11. March 12, 2016 / 5:28 am

I've never been on a cruise before or travelled to Amsterdam. Both things I'd love to do in the future! That cabin looks so cozy and the food looks delicious, especially the dessert with strawberries on it. x

Sally – DiagonSally

12. March 13, 2016 / 7:14 am

Wow this post really makes me miss the cruising life, there's just something about it that I absolutely love. All of that food looks incredible as well, I love that when you're on a cruise there's so many different food options!

13. March 13, 2016 / 10:41 am

Sounds amazing! I've always wondered about cruises, so having a mini one as a taster sounds like the best idea!

Jasmin Charlotte

14. March 27, 2016 / 6:45 pm

The food at the brasserie looks amazing!!! Great review 🙂 I've just done the same trip so it's always interesting to see other people's thoughts

Emma xx

15. August 27, 2016 / 11:42 am

I love the idea of taking a ferry to Amsterdam! This looks absolutely AMAZING! H x

16. September 20, 2016 / 9:27 am

I’ve been on a cruise but not a mini cruise – what a fabulous idea! You’ve given me the idea for my hubby’s anniversary present now!

17. October 19, 2016 / 9:13 pm

Been on a tour of few European cities including Amsterdam…What a stylish way to do it! I’ve never been a cruise, and always thought of it as the holidays you have when old, but this sounds AMAZING!

18. October 27, 2016 / 7:59 pm

I have been looking at these and wondered what they were like. It sounds great – brilliant values for money. Great review. Kaz x

19. November 1, 2016 / 2:41 pm

I knew about the ferry but I had no idea you could take a mini cruise! I lived in Amsterdam and my best friend was living in London and this would have been such a fun way to visit! Hope you loved Amsterdam!!

20. December 18, 2016 / 4:05 pm

Wow you are so lucky! I am so pleased that you had a good time even if the bus was uncomfortably warm. It looks like a great cruise with good food.

21. February 5, 2017 / 5:04 pm

I love mini get away trips! I hope to travel more this year and am currently planning a mini get away to Italy for my birthday, I’ve never been Amsterdam but love the idea of a cruise and the ship looks so nice and so much to do on it!

S x | SHELISES WORLD